Winging through life: Not a reality check

Monday, April 16, 2007

Cape Cod: Sand dunes and Pine trees



I never thought these two could go together ... but near Provincetown, CapeCod, MA, they do! I had been hearing people rave and rant about Cape cod since I got to New England, and was always sceptical when they claimed that it was better than the west coast (I remain a die hard califirnia fan!). Last year's experince at Crane Beach made me less sceptical and Cape cod almost made me believe them! Yes, the water was freezing and dips were unthinkable (it IS after all barely spring) but the diversity in terrain was more breathtaking than I 've seen even on the Pacific coast line.



I am the official weekend planner and this time I decided we would choose quaintness over affordability and booked us a night at one of the cutest bed and breakfast possible - this place called Nauset House Inn, a few minute walk from the Nauset Beach. The inn is run by a friendly couple who serve a delicious breakfast (food always comes first in my travel blog!), have an ancient looking conservatory and hand-painted furniture ( the other high point for me was the little home-made cuddly toy on the rocking chair... but for the less mentally unstable, that may not be the high point.)



One of the big reasons I was so excited about cape cod was that it's full of light houses and since my enid blyton days I've always dreamt of visiting one. Since I was around 6 (Though I confess I still read them as soon as I step into my delhi house!) Enid Blyton has been my all time favorite no brainer read . All her racism sexism aside, she did create a great fantasy world and some of my favorites used to be the famous five adventures where Julian Dick George Anne and Timmy the dog (!) would go live in a light house with Tinker and his monkey (hehehehe I am so loony, I actually remember their names!). I desperately wanted to live in a light house but since none of them let you do that I chose the next best thing - go visit one. Nauset area has about 4 - one which was still operational and the Three sisters, which looked kind of abandoned.

Our first stop in Cape cod, was ofcourse these light houses. They weren't as old and quaint as I would have wanted them to.. but I was thrilled nonetheless. We had decided that we would explore Nauset beach the first evening but our friendly inn keeper John advised us to make most of the sun (a very rare commodity in New England) and check out Provincetown instead.
Apart from the fact that the Pilgrims first landed in P-town (which I didn't know and didnt much care about in any case), the town is known for being immensely gay-friendly, full of the most amazing book stores (check out the bizarro spanking monkeys pic), cafes, sea-food places, art exhibitions and craft stores and ofcourse for its sand dunes and beaches. We had the most wonderful time sliding down dunes, wondering into pine tree woods and then jogging on the beach. What more can you ask for? Ya, some good food!



P-town is full of great (but expenssive) places to eat. Everyone had recommended this place called Napis (portugese food) but we chickened out on seeing the prices (nothing less than $25) and chose a less fancy Hearth and Kettle instead. I was so hungry by the time they served me my special fish dish that even if they had served me beans I would have said they were great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page visitor counters
Dialup ISP