Winging through life: Not a reality check

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Summah in Boston


Last week has shown me a new way of looking at the east coast. Somehow in my mind, sun, sand and picnics are associated with california. My first summer in Boston has changed my perspective - at least has begun to change it. The thing about Boston is that since warmth is such a precious commodity (unlike in CA), people have devised ways to make the most of it. Walk by the River Charles any weekend and you'll know what I am talking about. Women sun bathing, couples coochy-cooing under the sun, families canoeing and men women of different shapes and sizes, with dogs and strolleys, in varying degrees of undress. We decided to join in.

We start the day with a round of tennis, followed by a picnic brunch by the river bank. The evening is a jog by the river or a nice dinner in a restaurant patio. On wednesday we decided to explore our first beach on this coast - this place called Crane Beach about an hour's drive form Boston. I was nervous taking my fresh-out of California boy there. what if "We" at the east coast fail to enchant him as much as the beaches there? Thankfully my paranoia was unfounded!

Nah, I won't say I liked Crane beach better than all the beaches I've seen on the west coast. That would be a lie. The beaches are very different on the east coast - but not different in the bad way. The water is definitely colder, the scale is smaller. But the sand is whiter and cleaner and there is that tropical feel to it (like the ones in goa) - maybe beacuse of the fields and greenery right beside the beach that gives it a different charm. We were worried that we'll have to fight for water space in teh Atlantic once we stepped into the beach. Like everywhere else the Bostonians were all out here at the beach as well , even though it was the middle of the week. Umbrellas of all colors possible, tents, picnic baskets and blankets were strewn all over. But fortunately for us, another difference on this coast seems to be that people are mostly at the beach to soak up the sun and not take a swim. The water felt chilly at the beginning but once we dived in it was AWESOME. I could have floated around all day! The ocean here is not too choppy so even bad swimmers can take a dip. One of the quaintest parts of the beach is the sand dune a little away from the main beach. You can swim to it and it's like a sandy little island in the ocean.





And for those who can't make it to the beach, here's my favorite pic of the city itself - the Hancock tower with a reflection of The Church. A perfect blend of old and new...





1 Comments:

Blogger Amrita Pande said...

Oh you did!? I think I want my wedding on a beach as well! I guess will have to check out the singing sands next summer...

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page visitor counters
Dialup ISP