Winging through life: Not a reality check

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Moshi Moshi

I ve been trying to write this post for a while but bloggers was not co-operating so stop complaining 92 :)


The highlight of october was my short sweet trip to the land where toilet seat warmers and 700 BC shrine coexist quite happily - Kyoto, Japan. Undoubtedly one of the best trips of my life.

I have to admit I was quite nervous about traveling alone to a place where (I had heard) not too many people know English. So a day before my flight Ma and I started a frantic search in Connaught Place for a "how to learn japanese in 20 minutes!" and a Rough Guide to Kyoto. The former was quite a hilarious little book which I bought but never used (as you can guess form the title - the only thing I used there was Moshi Moshi, Arigato and teh ever-present Hai) and the latter was too expensive for a gareeb PhD type.


The first thing I noticed about Osaka was that it s full of Japanese! Well, yah, it was not unexpected but that still doesn't mean that it was not fascinating. From the cute red cheeked ticket counter guy to the chic information-giver in her designer skirt and boots - all Japanese!

People were not wrong when they said I will have some communication problems - most japanese (at least in Kyoto) don't know much English . But thankfully the ones that mattered in the airport - were super friendly and English type and evidently used to Indian types turning up and looking bewildered. I stood like a retard in front of the vending machine (all the writing was in English AND Japanese but I still looked retarded) till the nice little lady from the counter gently took the 2300 Yen out of my hand and purchased a ticket for me. Then I stood like a retard in front of the bus till the conductor equallly gently pushed me up the stairs and would have probably esorted me to a seat as well , just that the bus started moving...


Osaka is a fairly industrial place - all I managed to learn from my bus window was that Japanese also hang clothes in their balconies and on tehir building walls like Indians - just that they are slightly more organised and hang them in hangers! The buildings were a fascinating mix of jaded peeling off LMC style stuff and real techno steel ones. None of them were too tall, and were interspersed with some really lovely small bamboo houses.


Since I hadn't spoken for nearly 15 hours - I decided to latch onto the only non-Japanses looking co-travelera nd speak to him non stop for the first 15 minutes of my bus ride, He turned out to be some chap from Ohio who was visiting his sister in Kyoto. Unfortunately I did not look too charming after a 12 hour flight and he lost interest in me after my bout of verbal diarrhoea. So I spent the rest of the hour counting McDonalds and 7-11s (not too many!) and cars I recognised (none!).


My hotel was bang in front of the Kyoto Station - The El Inn Kyoto. Quite business-like, efficient staff, tiny rooms but amazingly high tech bathrooms! I know I know I sound obsessed but I swear the bathrooms were really cool. The pots had not just seat warmers but a button to play music or, if you are super kinky, a fush sound to drown whatever unhappy sounds you are producing! Another button to spray you in one directon and etc etc! I was quite enchanted & actually took some pics.

The first night I just walked around bewildered and jet-lagged and hogged great amounts of raw tuna, sake and would have had more - just had needed to wake up and present my paper early next day. I'll spare you the conference details - but right after the conference, the sweet professor, my friend from Malaysia and mua, walked to the famous Golden Temple - Kinkakuji/Rokuonji Temple. The temple is famous for its (umm) golden-ness and its amazing reflection on the mirror pool that surrounds it. Since the prof was treating we decided to venture into the quaint little tea shop where they serve almost pungent green tea and a barfi looking sweet made of bean?? Something strange but nice and exotic!


The next stop was Kiyomizu-Dera - a World Heritage Site was a stunner. The walk to the palace was as thrilling as the place itself (altho I must confess I was so enamored by everything in Kyoto that I would have probably taken photographs of every blade of grass if my camera's memory card would have permitted!). The temple is in Gyon, the Geisha district and G and I were strategising how to get as many Geisha pics (for free) as possible. So I spent the whole walk looking through my camera and trying to catch Geishas unaware as they went by on Rickshaws (another turist attraction in Kyoto - although unlike in India where a ricksahw ride is 5 cents in Japan in was 2000 yens!). The lanes are a maze of restaurants, little bamboo huts, souvenir stores and Geisha tea shops - all amazingly colorful and lively. We reached the temple all sweaty and tired - it's a real steep walk and all of us were still in our conference clothes. But it was well worth the trouble. The temple, builtin 798 BC stands on stilts/pillars and is famous for its views of the sun setting and its waterfall of "holy water". Luckily we got a taste of both. The waterfall (Otowa-no-taki) story is enchanting. We went and stood where the three channels of water drop into a pond. people here believe that drinking the water of the three streams brings (now I know), good health, longevity, and success in studies. At that time, however, we were told that the streams bring money, fame and good looks (one wish for each stream) - so we both tried the third stream - but boo hoo I still look the same!

The temple complex contains several shrines, Jishu-jinja, dedicated to Okuninushino-Mikoto, a god of love and "good matches". Jishu-jinja possesses a pair of "love stones" placed 18 metres apart, which lonely visitors attempt to walk between with their eyes closed. If you successfully reach the other stone then you are likely to find love! Well no, I didnt try that!

Next day was Kyoto day with my new found Malaysian and Chinese friend. If you plan to visit Kyoto, be smarter than we were and buy a bus pass for the day (500 Yen) cos public transport is pretty expensive (250 Yen= more than $2 for each ride and if you want to see all the good temples you'll end up taking the bus at least 4 times. SO we got up nice and early, got some cheap breakfast from a grocery store (where BTW no one ever knows any english so beware!) and started off on our tour.

First stop was another old old temple - I am sorry I don't remeber the name - but it had magnificent gardens and a really cool system of making the floors on raised hollow platforms. And every time we walked there would be soft swishing noise which warned the Royalty of approaching visitors (unwanted ones).

Our afternoon stop was the famous Imperial Palace. Maybe it was because we were already dead tired from all teh walking (and lack of cooked food inside us!) or becasue of all the theatrics one has to go through to eneter the palace (you need a permit for which you have to show your passport etc, I was not much impressed by the palace. I don't really fancy being herded around like sheep by a guide either - ad that's teh way the palace tours work - you can't take a step without being monitored. But it was a "must see" according to gude books so like good obedient tourists we went in. were herded around, took the obligatory snaps of the gardens (very pretty for sure), the throne, the roof and even of the two types of Bamboo trees where birds would come and sing to the King and work as his natural alarm clocks in the mornings!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord, that temple is gorgeous.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page visitor counters
Dialup ISP